Sister Ruth Wangler, of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities, died Aug. 15, 2015, in the health center of St. Mary of the Angels Regional House in Williamsville. She was 90.
Sister Ruth was born on May 5, 1925, to Otto E. and Viola (Kramer) Wangler. She went to school in Buffalo, attending St. Nicholas High School and Canisius College, as well as Niagara University, the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth, Minn., and Trinity College in Washington, D.C.
She joined the Sisters of St. Francis in Williamsville in 1943, after which she taught at St. James School in Buffalo and SS. Peter and Paul in Williamsville. From 1943 until 1972, Sister Ruth served at Mount St. Mary's Hospital in Niagara Falls, where she served for 23 years as a laboratory supervisor and helped the hospital develop a new program for measuring laboratory statistical data.
Sister Ruth served patients at St. Jude Center and St. Francis Hospital in Buffalo, Brothers of Mercy Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Clarence and Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital in Williamsville. She was a member of the National Association of Catholic Chaplains and was a certified pastoral associate in general health care. She was affiliated with the American Society of Clinical Pathologists.
In 1978, she moved to the congregation's House of Prayer - Our Lady of the Lake in Derby, where she served as a receptionist, director of enrichment, hospitality coordinator and prayer minister until 1984.
A funeral Mass was held in the chapel of St. Mary of the Angels Regional house in Williamsville, with burial in Gethsemane Cemetery, also in Williamsville.